I was having problems with the new Weebly software from my computer- I typed in a long narrative 10 days ago, tried to post it, and the only thing that survived was the title! (And I couldn't get rid of that.) So now I'm back to try again, this time on my iPad.
I've been inspired by Aileen Miracle to write about the top 14 things of 2014 that have happened to me, so here goes...
1.In April, my cousin helped me build carts for the 2 aging bass xylophones that are at my school. These have been immensely helpful, such as when I had to haul them down to the gym for the 3rd grade concert this November.
2. In May, I found out that I was going to be teaching full time for the first time in my 19 year career. Previously, I had worked 4 days a week.
3. At the end of May, my 5th graders graduated, and I hated to see them go. They were a great group to work with- and for their graduation, they sang 2 songs, both 2 parts, and one with several solos. (Sigh) I miss them.
4. May 25 was adoption day for my doggy daughter, Prima Donna, from the Humane Society. I got a second dog to be company for my first dog, Mason. Unfortunately, they don't really get along! They have their moments...ha ha.
5. I spent the summer planning for the next school year, making products for my Teacher's Notebook store, helping out at VBS at church, singing in church choir, getting to know Prima, oh yeah, and sleeping in!
6. Now that I am a full time teacher, I could submit projects on Donors Choose.org. My first project, for 3 glockenspiels, was funded in a week!
7. My classroom had some broken tiles, and was set to be carpeted. The district was going to lay the carpet, but my school's PTO had paid extra money to get them in sooner. The date kept changing, from summer of 2015, to fall of 2014, to the week AFTER the kids came back. I did not want to be moving furniture out of the room and/or teaching elsewhere while they carpeted during the first week of school.(Nor did the custodians.) In the end, the carpet was laid a few days before school started. (Whew!)
8. I submitted a second project on Donors Choose, this time for 3 tubano drums, and a tenor metallophone. I wanted to use them on the 3rd grade concert in November, and was afraid it wouldn't be funded in time, as this one was over $1000. But thanks to a matching grant from the Gates Foundation, it was funded right away. Yay! All of the kids in our 3rd grade classes (one class at a time) had access to an instrument to play on the concert.
9. I decided to make a turkey in my crockpot for Thanksgiving. I ended up buying an inexpensive oven roaster a couple of days before the big event, and cooked it that way. It turned out ok!
10. I decided to buy myself a ukulele...a pink one! West music had free shipping. I have some experience with guitar, it can't be too hard.
11. That led me to post my 3rd Donors Choose project- for a classroom set of ukuleles! Still working on getting this one funded...
12. I had been toying around with opening a second store, this one on Teachers Pay Teachers. On Christmas Eve, I had some extra time, and I jumped in with both feet and did it. I had to go with a different store name, as there is already a "Miss Barker" on TpT. My new store is called "Two Little Barkers Studio" in honor of Mason and Prima. I'll post more once I have enough products in the store.
13-14. I hope to have an uneventful, relaxing next week, an a Happy new year's. I wish the same for you!